In this Garden Design Show episode, Rachel covers the practical aspects of where to start and what to grow…
Where to Start
- Measure your garden so that you can create a base plan. See video below on how to do it (my first ever video, and yes it shows!).
2. Draw a scale plan – see video below on how to do it.
3. Use simple geometric shapes to define the areas of empty space like lawn and gravel areas (watch Successful Garden Design Show episode 30 for a quick sketch lesson on how to do it).
4. Choose a good selection of the following types of crops to grow that suit your location’s conditions.
5. See if there are local food growing initiatives already set up in your area and get your neighbourhood involved so you can grow and support your local communities and most in need with fresh fruit and vegetables.
Do you have vegetable gardening expertise you’d like to share here?
If you have tips, ideas and inspiration for fruit and vegetable growing, please get in touch via the Contact form and let us know what you can write or film to help people make attractive and productive vegetable gardens.
Best high yield veggies for SMALL gardens
The year-round vegetable gardener – tips from best-selling author Niki Jabbour
View Rachel’s FREE garden design web classes here:
Discuss, Connect and Share Ideas
Join our Grow Together Food Gardens Telegram Channel & Group to share ideas.